Sunday 4 April 2010

IFI7139 Week IV

First of all I have to say, that my experiences with e-learning can be considered as new, so maybe I think I do not have the whole picture yet. In the light of these courses which I have had, I would say that one good example is „Ethics and Law in New Media“. I really like the wikiversity environment, because it had everything we needed, but nothing overmuch and the Skype conversations worked well, were interesting and easy to follow. In ELNM we blogged every week (like in most of the e-courses it seems to be) and the blog environment was our choice. Clear and simple!

Not so good examples for me are the ENIM courses. The page is full of different opportunities,everything is mixed up, theres no one way hierarchy, dozens of forums and to many places to look for information, too many different information categorisation. Also I do not like when the course insist daily participation (even if there is nothing to do) and all you actions are being followed and minuses are coming for every undownloaded file (even if you got this five from some course mate). In sum not the knowledge and experience count, but right clicks on the right time and in the right oder.

Components of course design:
Identification-Firstly it is important to describe, what the course is about, its goals and what knowledge the course should provide.
Method- What methods and facilities are needed.
Structure-How do the course look like, what are the topics, tasks ect.
Choosing the materials-What kind of text, videos, clips, pictures ect. have to be presented (or gained).
Choosing the environment-In which environment the course will be held in. Which environment supports the course structure.
Feedback- How is the feedback arranged.
Evaluation-How to evaluate the participants. On what a final grade will be based on.

The most important thing I learned this week was that everything should be ready by the right time, otherwise some complication may arise ;)

But according to the reading materials I found out that there are several methods and models and it is ok not to agree with everything and combine the suitable one for yourself.

Our group worked very well this week. We are in contact regularly.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, so it seems we agree on Ethics and Law orderly looks. I totally agree on the EMIM courses but based on the feedback from the other coursemates. I did not participate. It seems that these closed environments have so much mystery stuffed into them... I would love to have a sneak-peek, but I am not allowed to :( Otherwise I am enrolled in the course, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have pointed out very good course components. The examples of a good and bad course design are interesting. I remember when I together with my colleagues wanted to redesign one of the EMIM courses Tallinn University was responsible for (because of the international project we were involved in) and it was a nightmare to get the changing process started...and we ended up using Moodle (the EMIM central platform) although it was against to our every course design ideas and innovation we wanted to bring in...so it seems that there are people who agree on certain things (also Ethics and Law course has been pointed out as a good one).

    See you around,
    Terje

    ReplyDelete